Cosplay & Me: A Short Perspective on Cosplay

For the past six years, I have cosplayed for numerous entertainment expos in Chicago. Whenever a comic convention is around the corner, I always look forward to producing accurate costumes and props from my favorite movies and video games. If I were to tell my past self that I would be making functioning proton packs and vibrant power ranger armor, he wouldn’t believe it!
SPD A Squad Blue Ranger (C2E2 2019)
If I were to rank my top five favorite costumes that I worked on, it would be (from descending order and pictured below) SPD A-Squad Blue Ranger, Ghostbuster, Red Ranger, Margarita Guy, and a Resistance Pilot. Each of those costumes required dedication, research, and perseverance. The longest time worked on a costume was 3 months and the shortest took 2 hours. Throughout all-nighters obtaining high quality reference photos, sketching blue prints and precise measurements, and gathering my materials, I enjoyed the skills I accomplished over the years. With these cosplays, I enjoyed posing for photo shoots, participating in cosplay contests, and socializing with others cosplayers. 

Ghostbusters (DePaul 2016)


MMPR Red Ranger (Navy Pier 2019)

Anime Central Fan Favorite: Margarita Guy (Anime Central 2016)

Resistance Pilot w/ blue stripes (Star Wars Celebration 2019)

My first prop commission - The Chain Whip (ACEN 2019)
While no artist is truly satisfied with his or her work, I gained the confidence in my cosplay over the years. However, I do take into account that with each cosplay, I hear out any forms of constructive feedback and attempt to find new techniques to improve my craftsmanship. And what better way to challenge myself than conducting cosplay commissions for close friends. From Anime Central to birthday events and Halloween, I was responsible for making prop pieces essential to any of my friends’ costumes. This helped improved my time and task management and communication skills. Some of my favorite and elaborate props were commissioned such as the famous DC-17 blaster pistol from Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008), Richter Belmont’s chain whip from the iconic video games Castlevania (1986) and Super Smash Brothers Ultimate (2018), and Angelina Jolie’s belt holster from Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001). 
Various Star Wars Blasters (2017)

Lara Croft Belt Holster (2019)

Down the line, I would love to teach people more about my cosplay process. I’m extremely passionate about prop making and costume armor design and would be happy to inspire potential cosplayers in and outside of entertainment expos. To me, cosplay is not just dressing up when it’s not Halloween; it’s an exciting hobby that everyone can be included and enjoy while waiting for the next convention. 

Even Paul Rudd loves my work! (C2E2 2019)

Comments

Popular Posts