Bringing Beasts to Life! Mini Red Rex from Kenner Jurassic Park

Everyone knows that I'm a huge Jurassic Park fan. I always talk about going to the themed attractions at Universal Studios, spending my allowance on The Lost World arcade, and collecting various figures from conventions and store. After all, Jurassic Park was my first exposure to dinosaurs and science fiction. One of my favorite toys was the giant T. Rex dubbed the Red Rex by Kenner in 1993. Unfortunately, my figure is missing both arms, but I loved its design and color scheme. I didn't know the paint was modeled after the Rex's appearance in the novel until a few years ago. When I got the idea to start sculpting, one of my goals was to make a T. Rex figure based on the Kenner Red Rex. 

Instead of remaking the whole figure, I end up making my own stylized T. Rex. The arms weren't too exaggerated, the head did not evoke the Stand Winston design, and the body was not bulky. If you noticed, the sculpture is smaller than the Mokele Mbembe I made. Where I first made a large figure, I challenged myself to make a mini figure. There were several revisions on the arms for scientific accuracy and the head due to it weighing down on the body. The whole project took a couple of days to finish; a majority of the time was spent figuring out the color palette and applying it to the sculpt. I tried my best to replicate toy accurate colors, but I end up making it more or less on the dot. 

Overall, it is a pretty decent sculpt. My favorite parts of the process was the carving the scaled underbelly and painting the black stripes and spots. It's not the most perfect recreation of the Kenner Red Rex. The upper head and teeth are not symmetrical, the feet are not thin and birdlike, and the tail was supposed to be thick. However, it was my first mini sculpt so I can give myself a little leeway. Also, it scales pretty well next to the Matchbox Jurassic World vehicles. 

 

My Red Rex figure next to the Matchbox Ford Explorers

 


Same as Mokele Mbembe. Wire armature with foil and tape.


Addition of clay. Notice that the arms did not have wires connected to the body.





Wrinkles, scales, and spine details added


Final head sculpt attached.


Less like Jurassic Park, more like Barney.


Much better. Now it looks closer to the classic Kenner Red Rex.

Another angle of the Rex next to the Matchbox Ford Explorers.




Comments

Popular Posts