My First Kaiju Days Experience


For the past 6 months, I have been inside the safety of my home. Video games, blogging, job applications, voice chat with friends, and Photoshop have kept me occupied. What I miss the most was attending conventions. Since they have been postponed and cancelled indefinitely until next year, I really needed something to itch that post-convention scratch. I've recently went to Brookfield Zoo for their Dinosaur's Everywhere! experience and while it was enjoyable to be the outdoors and see impressive animatronic dinosaurs, it doesn't create the same feeling as going to a comic convention. 

While I was managing an Instagram account, I came across an account that managed Godzilla toy booth in Illinois. For those unfamiliar, this was the first Godzilla toy booth I saw at C2E2 2020 and obtained my special Trendmasters 10-inch electronic SpaceGodzilla figure. While I was scrolling around their page, they toured across Illinois and held events where people can buy Godzilla merchandise! I was excited to learn that they were holding 2 day event in Logan Square, which is 15 minutes driving distance from my home! Funny enough, it's close by Nakama Toys, another store where I get my Godzilla fix. In preparation of this event, I saved some money from cancelled cons, brought a couple of bags for souvenirs, and met up with a friend who was also enthusiastic to attend this event. 

The event was known as Kaiju Days. 2 days of Half Baked Fantasies and Otaku America advertised and set up their booths at Galerie F, a small art hall and art toy store. While a on the small side, I found the store front simple, charming and inviting. In conjunction with COVID-19 guideline, guests wore masks and some waited patiently outside and followed the 6 persons per entry rule. Plenty of hand sanitizer to go around, but the main attraction was the Godzilla toys. 

Outside the window, you can clearly see the rows and columns of Godzilla toys. I felt overwhelmed and excited by their selection. I couldn't help but gaze and hold some of my favorite creature designs that I have not come across. Most of the time was spend going back and forth the main booth. I took small breaks looking around the back where they had postcards, prints, and custom figures/ sculptures before I went back to the mini Godzilla Fest. Besides figures, they had a t-shirt and poster section and a small television screen that played classic Kaiju films such as Godzilla: GMK (2001) and Frankenstein Conquers the World (1965) to name a few. Also, I get to talk with the organizers of the event and appreciate learning more about different types of toys, companies, and films related to Kaiju and Tokusatsu culture. 




It wouldn't be a Godzilla event without souvenirs and my god(zilla) did I get some awesome finds. One of them was a Bullmark Pop Vinyl Sofubi Megalon Action Figure. I got this fellow because I didn't have a Megalon in my collection and I dig the unique paint style. What I didn't know is that this model was the last in Bullmark's production line in the 70s. Another purchase was one of my most sought out figures: Titanosaurus! This obscure, one-off Kaiju from Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975) was on my radar since my adventures in previous Godzilla Fests and was happy to find him at Kaiju Days. Fun fact, this figure is a variant exclusive to a 2 figure box set in Japan. The last, and most important purchase, is the Bandai Real Action Godzilla (1993/4). Initially, I thought it was a YSMF Heisei Godzilla figure, but it felt different than the standard plastic vinyl molds. Not only is it a figure, but also, it's a model kit and an animatronic wrapped around a rubber skin. It was more than a figure, it felt like I was handling the suit model used in the movies! This figure is definitely my top favorite Heisei Godzilla toy. 



 

Overall, I had fun at Kaiju Days. Sure, it was a small space, which didn't leave enough room for multiple booths or activities, but it had the spirit of the Godzilla Fest we lost to COVID-19. If anything, it provided me with something I needed as a Godzilla enthusiast and a convention junkie. I want to thank Galerie F for allowing the space for Otaku America and Half Baked Fantasies to hold this event where many Kaiju fans and general audiences can gather and experience a mini Godzilla Fest. 








 



Comments

Popular Posts