C2E2 2019 Review

Throughout seven years of attending various entertainment expos, I hold C2E2 in high regard as my personal favorite comic convention to attend in Chicago, IL. After going to C2E2 2019 and giving myself a week to gather my thoughts, I've come to realize that this year's event provided a more positive experience compared to previous years.

Pictured: Me as the A-Squad Blue Ranger from Power Rangers SPD in front of the Dealers Hall entrance

For those who are unfamiliar, C2E2 is short for Chicago Comic Entertainment Expo (try saying that three times fast). It's a 3 day event held at, you guessed it, Chicago (specifically McCormick Place)! The con's goal is to provide a memorable pop culture fan experience for convention enthusiasts and novice attendees alike.

If you want to get a excellent first impression of comic conventions, C2E2 gets my recommendation!

So what makes C2E2 2019 better than previous C2E2 experiences?

Luckily, I compiled a list of positive notes that I observed during the convention:

- Overcrowding was not an issue (even on Saturday, which is the traditionally the busiest day)
- Security Checks were quick and efficient (prop checks didn't require a zip tie, thus saving time)
- Arcade cabinets in the Dealers Hall served as an alternative to walking around booths for hours
- A nice lineup of guests from Paul Rudd to Amy Jo Johnson
- Additional events after con hours in the form of C2E2 After Dark (i.e. Karaoke night!)
- Staff were helpful in finding/locating unmentioned guests or events (i.e. AUSTIN ST. JOHN!)
- First time participating in a (unofficial) Power Rangers Cosplay Photoshoot!
- Scavenger Hunts (I know this was before the con, but getting free badges to C2E2 is a PLUS!)

It's Morphin' Time! With the original Red Ranger himself, Austin St. John!



 What are some drawbacks of C2E2 2019?

I'm the Green Ranger on the left w/o Dragon Shield
Instead of listing them, I want to explain a couple of issues attendees and I noticed this year.

Since C2E2 2017, I started to notice an increasing number of open space in the Dealers Hall. Similar to my experiences at Wizard World 2014, booths that I loved going to weren't there and spaces reserved for laser tag or VR games became a sitting/ walking area. 
Me and Marcos with Ant-Ma... Paul Rudd!





It's odd to see one side of the convention full of life and the other side of it barren. I'm not sure if it has to do with booth prices, but it would be better if the space was utilized for something interactive in case attendees need to kill some time before a panel starts or take a break from walking around the Dealers Hall/ Artists Alley. Some booths can use the extra space as some of their arrangements make it difficult to walk through and look at the merchandise without bumping into other attendees.




Additionally, I felt that the convention was understaffed as a majority of staff were stationed at the autograph area, which is understandable for keeping attendees from overcrowding the special guests area. However, if guests don't have access to a guidebook or the app and wanted to ask a staff member for directions and schedules, they shouldn't have to maneuver through the entirety of the Dealers Hall to reach a staff member.

Despite a couple of negative aspects, C2E2 is still my favorite convention. The event is 15 minutes away from my house, most of my best friends go there (which always make a convention experience better), and I always have wonderful time interacting with fellow cosplayers, special guests, and attendees who share the same passions of being as I do.

At the end of the day, a couple of good friends is all you need to have great time at a convention.

Overall, one a scale from 1 (being the worst) and 10 (being the best), I give C2E2 2019 a 8/10!
C2E2 is a great convention, but a couple of issues prevent it from being the best entertainment expo in Chicago. Hopefully, next year's event will be better!








Comments

Popular Posts