Chicago Collectibles: Where to go and What you will find

I love to shop for collectibles at conventions. However, each convention is around for 3-5 days per year. Once they're gone, you have to wait for the next convention. And even if you plan to go to another expo, there's an additional attendance fee that would better be spent on purchasing collectibles.

While I wait for the next con, manage cosplay projects, hang with friends, and work, vintage toy stores satisfy that post-con need. Through long bus rides and train stops, I enjoy exploring vintage toy stores and finding toys from my childhood and learning about obscure items from different decades. Think of it as one of my favorite forms of pastime that gets me easily excited to go outdoors besides food, arcades, and movies.

After the closing of Hollywood Mirror, Monster Island Toys, Uncle Fun, and JP21 in the last decade, I felt that Chicago is losing its charm in the vintage toy market. However, there are still some stores that are operational, if not updating to fit in the changing times. If you are interested in checking out any vintage toy stores in the Chicago area, here are some locations for your next adventure!

Nakama Toys

Water Bottle (Left) is not imported from Japan
There's no place that provides Gundam and Godzilla like Nakama Toys. Located in Logan Square, this establishment offers the latest Japanese pop culture items. To me, Nakama Toys was the only spot that had Godzilla figures after Monster Island Toys closed down. While not a vintage toy shop itself, Nakama  deserves a spot on this list, providing a breath of fresh air with rows of gashapon and model kits. Sometimes, they hold events where Gundam model builders meet up, socialize, and construct their newly obtained Gunpla. The owners, Bryan and Mary, get along with their customers and always welcome conversation on television shows, movies, wrestling, tattoos, and comic conventions. While a majority of the store features Gundam and Godzilla, they offer a selection of snacks and drinks, statues, model kit tools, and plush not easily accessible in the US. 

My friend during Gundam Night (Yes, I got one too).




Can't find these bad boys anywhere else besides online.


Quake Collectibles

Out of all the other vintage toy stores in Chicago, I remembered Quake Collectibles having the hugest impact on my collecting habits. When my aunt first took me there, I was overwhelmed by their selection of Transformers and Star Wars figures. Throughout my childhood, a majority of my vintage Transformers collection and knowledge were obtained from that specific store. When I came back a couple of years ago, I found out how easy it was to get there through CTA. Ever since, I visit and check out what other cool items they have that weren't easily accessible such as the Trendmasters Walking Godzilla figure, Star Wars Black Series Imperial Rocket Trooper, or Super Sentai Go Busters morpher. Also, Quakes gets shipments of the latest figures from Hasbro such as the Power Rangers Lightning Series and Transformers: War for Cybertron Siege. The owner and I get along with our knowledge of Transformer toys, which I helped identify on some occasions during his stock entries. If you want to enjoy collecting vintage items without dipping into your bank account, Quake Collectibles is the place for you!

Cell-Toys Collectibles

I want this one, this one, and that one!
I never knew about place until last year, but I wish I did. Cell-Toys is a combination of Quake Collectibles and Nakama Toys. A majority of their stock focuses on Marvel Legends and Power Rangers, but they do have imported toys from Japan and a couple of areas full of vintage toys. What I love about their store, however, is their display cases. The appeal of Cell-Toys is how organized and dynamic their displays are. The naturally posed figures on unique backgrounds transport you to that diorama's world (within the imaginations' limits of course). Personally, my favorite display is the Transformers diorama. It takes up the whole picnic table, filled with characters locked in battle! Although my favorite toyline is Transformers, any Power Rangers enthusiasts (including me) will enjoy their selection of Legacy and vintage items (pictured right). Located off the Berwyn Red Line stop, Cell-Toys Collectibles is great stop to get some photos of their amazing toy displays and pick up a couple of items as well. 



Insert credit card and bank account here!


Ka-Pow Collectibles and Toy De Jour

While I enjoy writing about toy collecting hot spots in Chicago, it is difficult to find features that distinguish one store from another. Ka-Pow Collectibles and Toy de Jour, like Quake Collectibles, offer the same thing: vintage, mint and sealed boxed toys for reasonable prices. The only differences I can think of is that Toy de Jour has an active social media presence that updates people on art shows and sales and Ka-Pow has a small interior. Toy de Jour just moved to a new location, coincidentally  nearby Nakama Toys. Ka-Pow is located off the Belmont Red Line stop. It might be a bit of a walk, but you get to see ramen bars, Chicago Comics, a board game cafe, and The Exchange along the way. Be sure to check out their stores, as well as their schedules because all of them have different either open and closing times and specific days where they do not operate.

Rotofugi

What makes this place stand out is that they do not sell vintage toys. Instead, they sell people's artwork. Not just paint on paper, but handcrafted toys. Originally selling sold Funko Pop and Super 7 Re-Action figures, Rotofugi is best known for their art gallery and selection of designer plush and vinyl figures. Various artists rent out Rotofugi's gallery space for art shows and the owners host a Drink n' Draw event for customers and visitors alike. Although I lean towards vintage toy collecting, I have visited their art gallery a number of occasions and obtained a couple of their delicate designer toys. 

Rad Vintage Toys

For a small store, it has a nice and organized selection of toys.
The last stop on this virtual toy store tour, is Rad Vintage Toys! This was a place I found on accident. While I was walking around with friends for Free Comic Book Day, I noticed a bunch of toys on the window side. Due to rushing to the next comic book shop, I did not enter the store until I found their booth at C2E2 and learned more afterwards. Rad Vintage offers more than vintage collectibles. They sell vintage clothes. Despite it's online description as a clothing store, they have a nice selection of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Star Wars, and Power Rangers. On a couple of occasions, they will have some items from Jurassic Park, Godzilla, Street Sharks, and Extreme Dinosaurs, but I tend to find them frequently at C2E2 (refer to my review and Top 5 Chicago Conventions). The last time I saw they, the owners told me they were moving to a new location closer to the city. So if you venture west off the Chicago Red Line Stop, be sure to check out Rad Vintage Toys for their collectibles and clothing!


Ditto

There are many places in Chicago where you can buy cool collectibles. Some of them I have not discovered yet. Comic book stores like Graham Crackers, Chicago Comics, and First Aid supply collectibles, but they don't specialize in the vintage toy category. So when a lot of people think that the city of Chicago is known for their sports, museums, deep dish pizza, and skyscrapers, remember that it's also the home of many awesome vintage collectible stores.

Author's Note:

Forgive me for I did not take pictures of Quakes, Rotofugi, Ka-Pow, and Toy de Jour. I will update the post with pictures eventually. Until then, thanks for checking out the post and tune in for more posts from Christian's Corner!


 

 
 

Comments

Popular Posts