The Return to California 2020: Day 1

Initially, I was supposed to publish this back in January, but here we are.


For many years, my family and I have traveled to California. Every time we went, it's either Universal Studios, Disneyland, or various outlet malls. Rarely we go to San Diego Zoo, Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica Beach. It's been years since I've gone to California, so when my friends from LA recommended me to visit them, I told them I would consider it. After encouragement from another friend who was going and family, I started out the new year by returning to the sunny state of California.

The first thing I noticed was how hot California is compared to Chicago. Illinois was dealing with the aftermath of winter while California was bright and warm. Big, noticeable difference. One of the first things we did after getting off the plane was head to Little Tokyo. I've never been to or heard about this place, but I wish I did. Beautiful Japanese inspired urban atmosphere, delicious sushi and mochi stations, and the best spot of them all... Anime Jungle!

Sushi Bento Box with Unagi Roll

Behold! The Jessica Roll!


When one of my friends asked if I heard about this place called Anime Jungle, that store was a bonus incentive to my trip. I've been looking for a Godzilla centered store that wasn't Godzilla Fest for a while and Anime Jungle is the right place that specializes in Kaiju collectibles. Not only that, but they have other kinds of unique collectibles like Transformers, Gundam kits, Super Sentai, and Zoids. I could spend all day in this store, which I would have done if it weren't for my friends being concerned about my wallet and well-being. However, that didn't stop me from obtaining some souvenirs for me and friends back home.

Oh Godzilla Stores, how I've missed you!
Need I say more?
Another nearby destination my friends took me to was the District Market. Similar to the French Market, District has a wonderful array of food items from different cultures. Despite the emphasis on different cultures, I went for the Lobster Roll with a side order of fries and fresh brewed Ginger beer. After dinner, we ended the day with a night stroll back to Little Tokyo. One highlight during the walk back was the changing neon lights near the parking lot. I couldn't help myself from taking some pictures. I don't know why, but it looked aesthetically pleasing.

We sat close to this awesome neon display

The aforementioned Lobster Roll dinner.


What I thought was going back to my friend's apartment turned into an unexpected trip to Round One, a popular arcade. A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

It's already been one day and I had a lot of fun exploring Little Tokyo and downtown Los Angeles than an amusement park. It was a nice change of pace and being with great friends made the trip exciting. I can't wait to tell more about Days 2 and 3 down the line.

Comments

Popular Posts