Toy Store Spotlight: Nakama Toys

In my hometown of Chicago, IL, my friends rely on me as a go-to guide for collectible toy stores. There are plenty of establishments to explore, but there is one place that revived my passion for toy hunting: Nakama Toys.

Boats have lighthouses, Otakus have Ultraman

2014 was the year for kaiju fans. Legendary Pictures released their interpretation of Godzilla and that alone reignited my love for the giant monster genre. Getting back into the kaiju craze, I wanted to find a place that specialized in Godzilla merch. When I stumbled upon Nakama Toys online, I was overjoyed to see that they were located near campus. And so I went before the start of sophomore year.

My old phone doesn't give the lighting justice, but walking space! (2014)
 At first glance, it's a small shop. Then again, what collectible store isn't? But what stands out is how bright, vivid, and orderly it is. Nakama Toys' space is foot traffic friendly and their wall artwork is aesthetically pleasing. Where other places specialize in vintage toys, Nakama specializes in the latest and popular Japanese merchandise ranging from Godzilla figures, Gundam model kits, gashapon, and statues to name a few.

My first purchase was the famous SpaceGodzilla from Tamashii Nations' S.H. Monsterarts toyline. It is my favorite Godzilla villain and was incredibly happy that Nakama had him on their shelves. It was at that moment that I was destined to return to this place over the years and that I would bring friends with me. Funnily enough, when I'm not at their store, I find them occasionally maintaining a booth at several conventions.

First time going, and what do I find? These kaiju beauties! (2014)

While I went for Godzilla toys, there were other items that grabbed my attention such as Zoids, Transformers, and Tamiya paints. I even found gifts for friends. Every time I visit, I see something that catches my eye. And if I'm unfamiliar with it, the owners are happy to discuss. With the pandemic of Covid-19, many local stores have been troubled from the loss of business. I've seen many Japanese specialty stores go under quickly without a pandemic and quite frankly, I don't want Nakama to share the same fate.

Marcos and I during Gundam Night (2015)

Recently, a couple of friends and I devised an online shopping spree for our collectible needs and Nakama was the first place we thought about. With businesses reopening during this difficult time, I can say with confidence that Nakama is here to stay and that I'll be returning to give more support for one of my favorite local toy stores.

If you are in Chicago and you're searching for anything related to kaiju, anime, and mecha, give Nakama Toys a visit. It gets my full recommendation.

Yes, they even have Pocky and Ramune Soda for your journey back home!










Comments

Popular Posts