Convention Retrospective: TFcon USA 2016

The event that saved my love for Transformers
Before I knew about various comic conventions/entertainment expos, one convention ingrained itself into my memory: OTFCC 2003. It was a bonus feature on a DVD that showcased a montage of the Official Transformers Collectors Convention (boy that's a mouthful). I wasn't there in person, but it felt like it. As a huge Transformers fanatic, this convention sounded too good to be true. The concept blew my mind. I thought to myself, "One day, I will go,". Little did younger me know, that day eventually happened.

Flash forward to 2016. I was disheartened when I found out that BOTCON (what OTFCC became down the line) no longer hosted events in the US. Another issue was that my interest in Transformers was dwindling. The Michael Films were lackluster and I wasn't motivated to obtain new figures. As luck would have it, TFcon USA would take its place.

TFcon USA is a subdivision of TFcon, a famous Transformers fan convention annually hosted in Toronto, Canada. The sponsors rarely host events in the US, but in Chicago, even rarer. It's considered an unofficial con due to it being unaffiliated with Hasbro and the defunct Fun Publications, but a convention is still a convention nonetheless. I was thrilled to learn that
1) Transformers conventions still exist and 2) It would be hosted in Chicago!

Funnily enough, the event was held at  the same hotel where the bonus feature took place, the Hyatt Regency O'Hare Chicago in Rosemont.

For my first Transformers convention, it's all that I hoped for from my first viewing all those years ago. My jaw dropped when I saw that every corner of the ball room was filled with collectibles and art from various series. I wanted to buy everything there, but I had a strict budget and went for as many items as I could on my mental checklist. Everyone was so friendly to each other, even I, a bit anxious to socialize at many functions, was able to make friends with some of the other con attendees. I even got to have conversations with some of the guests like Gregg Burger, Gary Chalk, and Jon Bailey! Instead of staying in the dealers hall for the whole con, I actually participated in activities such as the Customizing Class and the Script Reading Auditions.


The Exclusive Customizing Class Figure: GRIMLOCK!

Autobots Jazz and Prowl on the case!

Script Reading Audition

The guests of honor (L-R: Gary Chalk, Michael Bell, and Jon Bailey to name a few)!

I regret not getting a plushy. If they're back, I will get one!

Before TFcon, I had Wizard World, C2E2, Anime Central, and G-Fest on my checklist of conventions. I've seen many booths at every one of these events carry their own Transformers merchandise. Despite how small conventions like TFcon and G-Fest are not widely popular among general attendees, I appreciate how dedicated TFcon is to bringing that positive and exciting energy for it's specific audience: Transformers fans. It was a relief knowing that there was a place, if not a community that shared the same passion and enthusiasm for all things Transformers as I did. It may have taken a long time, but it worth waiting knowing that one day, I'd be going to a Transformers convention.

A bit of custom pieces at the Artists Alley!

Some Third Party figures based on popular IDW characters.

Behold! The Original 1984 G1 Megatron!

These Third Party Figures are always a welcome surprise.

Despite how perfect TFcon is for the avid Transformers fan, it has it's issues. One gripe is that the vendors hall should have been opened on Friday instead of Saturday. I understand if it gives more time for the booths, rooms, and guests to set up, but if no one was there for the build a class figure or the opening ceremony, then there's not much to do on the first day, except get your badge at will-call. Another issue is the lack of unique activities. To be fair, TFcon is like any other con. You got cosplay contests, video game rooms, meet and greets, and panels, but the customizing class is the only thing that stood out from other cons. An additional guide with booth and room information would be helpful, especially when I needed to remember which vendors I went to. Aside from that, I really enjoyed my time at TFcon. It may not be the official Hasbro or Fun Publications convention that I was exposed to, but the overwhelming work put into the event by the sponsors, vendors,  guests, and most importantly, the attendees, made my expedition worthwhile.

I regret to this day that I didn't go to the 2018 event due to conflicting schedules. But after speaking to a vendor at Anime Milwaukee this year, my return to TFcon was sealed for they were coming back to Chicago in October 2020. Will the event go as scheduled? Would COVID-19 be vaccinated and the US be declared a clean bill of health for conventions to come back? Who knows. Hopefully I will reunite with the wonderful guests and attendees I met along the way soon.


But as a die-hard Transformers fan, I'll be looking forward to setting foot back into the place that brought me back to my love of the warring robots from Cybertron.

It's not a convention without a little cosplay, am I right?

Human Avatars of Autobot Whirl are quite popular!

Raptoricons Slice and Shred!

Better quality picture of Raptoricon Shred.

Decepitcon Arms Dealer and Well-Dressed Combaticon, Swindle!

As a bonus: Here's a video I produced after attending TFcon. It should give viewers an idea what the convention is about.

The dedication and passion these fans put into their custom figures I tell ya.
Ditto.

Comments

Popular Posts